French artist Georges Lacombe created this monumental painting as part of an unfinished series of the four seasons. Here, we see an autumnal scene with a rhythmic pattern of golden leaves and chestnuts, in which five figures in traditional Breton dress ceremoniously gather and shell the fall fruit.
Autumn represents a time of letting go, a time when trees lose their leaves in order to flourish in the spring.
- Sit comfortably, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- On your next breath, think of the things that may be causing you discomfort, stress or worry.
- As you exhale, visualize releasing them one by one, just as a tree lets go of its leaves in autumn.
- Take a deep breath in and a deep breath out.
- Make space for new beginnings.
*As an extension to this meditation, pair this with a Letting Go meditation.