The Earth 12: El Abrazo (The Embrace) is part of a suite of 14 lithographs from 1969 titled The Earth by Spanish artist Rafael Canogar that addressed the global conflicts of the time. Rather than specifying a particular event, he created a universal account. Here, we see anonymous figures huddled together in comfort. Devoid of context, the act of embrace is amplified and the consoling touch of the hand is highlighted.
Take a moment to consider the powerful effect of touch.
- Sit comfortably, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Begin to scan your body and bring awareness to any feelings of stress or anxiety.
- Notice where you feel this in your body.
- Gently place your hand over this area.
- Feel the warmth and comfort of your touch.
- Take a deep breath in and a deep breath out.
- Continue until you begin to feel a sense of calm.