Staying with his family outside Aix-en-Provence, Cézanne painted nine portraits of his maternal uncle Antoine Dominique Sauveur Aubert in late 1866. He worked quickly, using both a brush and a palette knife and applying paint almost as though it were cement. The resulting works are not only images but also emphatically material objects. As we look at them, we cannot help but consider the process of their making. In the 1870s, Cézanne abandoned this bracing, savage manner in favor of the analytic approach for which he is best remembered today.
- Artist Name: Paul Cézanne (French, 1839-1906)
- Title: Uncle Dominique
- Date: 1866
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 18-1/8 x 15 in. (46.1 x 38.2 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1968.31.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
Auguste Pellerin (d. 1929) [by 1923], Paris, by inheritance to;
Jean-Victor Pellerin, Paris (sale, Galerie Charpentier Paris, 8 June 1956 to);
[Davey (Knoedlers, stock no. 6380)].
Frances Vogel (Mrs. A. L.) Spitzer, New York, by 1959 - still in 1967.
[Jane Wade, Ltd., New York, sold 17 September 1968 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Homage to Paul Cézanne (1839-1906)
- London, Wildenstein & Co., 1939-07 to
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 527 p. 308
- Venturi, Lionello, Cézanne, son art-son oeuvre,vol. I, no. 79, pl. 21
- Therond, R., Les Grands Peintres, p. 4
- Schildt, G., Cézanne,fig. 21
- Dorival, Bernard, Cézanne,pl. 7 pp. 25, 128, 137
- Gowing, Lawrence, Cézanne, The Early Years 1859-1872, pp. 104, 109
- Hess, Walter, Die Kunst und das schöne Heim, p. 335
- George, Waldemar, Apollo,pl. 90 p. 80
- Rewald, John, The Paintings of Paul Cézanne: A Catalogue Raisonné,no. 102 p. 34
- Orienti, Sandra; and Gaëton Picon, Tout l'oeuvre Peint de Cézanne,no. 60 p. 61
- Raynal, Maurice, Cézanne,pl. LVIII p. 146
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 126
- Steadman, David W., Art Journal, p. 38
- Rivière, Georges, Cézanne, le peinture solitaire, p. 13
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Burleigh-Motley, M., University: A Princeton Quarterly,
- Novotny, Fritz, Paul Cézanne,pl. 2
- John Elderfield, Cézanne Portraits,2017, Fig. 24 pp. 54-56 ; p.  (ill.)
- Rivière, Georges, Le Maître Paul Cézanne, pp. 155, 196
- Shapiro, Meyer, Paul Cézanne, p. 56
- Barnes, Albert; and Violette de Mazia, The Art of Cézanne,pp. 11, no. 13, 74, no. 50, 311, no. 14, 402, no. 5 pp. 11, 74, 311, 402
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.