Pissarro moved back to the town of Pontoise, twenty miles Northwest of Paris, in August, 1872. He had spent 1870–71—a politically turbulent year in France—abroad in London. There he had encountered the paintings of John Constable, an early-nineteenth-century landscapist, whose sensitive portrayals of clouds likely inspired the overcast sky in this picture. Pissarro’s first autumn back in Pontoise was among the most productive periods of his career; he turned out twenty-seven views of the town and its inhabitants. Here, with remarkable concision, he evoked a newly-built boulevard, its sidewalks lined with young trees, its gutters filled with fallen leaves.
- Artist Name: Camille Pissarro (French, 1830-1903)
- Title: The Boulevard des Fossés, Pontoise
- Date: 1872
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 18-1/4 x 21-7/8 in. (46.4 x 55.6 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation, Gift of Mr. Norton Simon
- Accession Number: M.1975.20.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[Sam Salz, New York, sold 22 November 1940 to];
[Paul Rosenberg, sold 8 May 1942 to];
[Durand-Ruel, New York, sold 1 February 1946 to];
Jakob M. Goldschmidt (d. 1955), Berlin (until 1933) and New York (1933-55) (sale, London, Sotheby’s, 28 November 1956, lot 126, sold for $23,800 jointly to);
[Thos. Agnew & Sons, London, and A. Tooth & Sons, London, consigned November 1956 to];
[M. Knoedler & Co., New York, stock no. CA4952, sold, as stock no. A6533,13 March 1957 to];
Norton Simon, gift 1975 to;
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 47 p. 250
- Goerges-Michel, Michel, Les Grandes Epoques de la Peinture "Moderne" de Delacroix a nos Jours, following p. 68
- Pissarro, Ludovic Rodo; and Lionello Venturi, Camille Pissarro: son art-son oeuvre,vol. I, no. 171; vol II, pl. 35
- Cogniat, Raymond, Pissarro,
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 136
- Joachim Pissarro, Claire Durand-Ruel, Catalogue raisonne de Camille Pissarro - peintures,2005, Plate 277 p. 220
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.