Thomas-Germain-Joseph Duvivier, one of Jean-Baptiste Siméon Chardin’s most talented pupils, began exhibiting still lifes at the Paris Salon in 1761. In this example, an architect’s desk is cluttered with the tools of the trade. Despite the items’ seemingly haphazard arrangement, Duvivier has carefully staged them to maximize their visual interest. The stasis of the heavy Ionic capital and stack of books contrasts with the delicate quill and unfurling plans. In addition, Duvivier has intentionally angled the capital, compass, ruler and quill toward the back left corner. Their leading lines guide our eyes toward the drawing of the doorway, suggesting the source of inspiration for the neoclassical building plans.
- Artist Name: Thomas-Germain-Joseph Duvivier (French, 1735-1814)
- Title: An Architect's Table
- Date: 1772
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 40-3/8 x 31 in. (102.6 x 78.7 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1976.02.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[Richard L. Feigen & Co., New York, sold 28 January 1976 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
- Faré, Michel, La Vie Silencieuse en France: La Nature Morte au XVIIe siècle,fig. 268 pp. 175-180
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 95
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1297 p. 391
- du Bourg, Alexis Merle, Chardin,2020, 306 p. 335
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.